Deepak passed me a musical meme, and Beethoven might have done it himself for all I know. Gulp. This law of keeping memes going had better be a sacred one, or I am making a fool of myself for nothing.
I am about as musically inclined as a deaf frog with tonsillitis. Most of the music I listen to is because it comes free with my favorite lyrics. It is a malaise that, with some help, I could perhaps remedy. Anyways, here goes:
Total volume of music on my computer: 0MB. I listen to tapes and CDs on my music system.
The last CD I brought: Bazaar/Umrao Jaan. I’d been borrowing the CD from my Bong neighbor while I was in Pune. Needed my own copy to salvage self-respect. In an interview on Doordarshan, Khayyam was recently reminiscing about the composition of these songs, and it was a pleasure to hear him speak.
Song playing right now: None. The sound of clothes being washed by the maid. Slam Blam Squish. I love the squish part.
Five songs I listen to a lot, or that mean a lot to me: This should be the easy part:
1. Is mod se jaate hain: From Aandhi. Gulzar/RD. In reshmi raahon mein ik raah to who hogi, tum tak jo pahunchti hai, is mod se jaati hai.
2. Tujhse naraaz nahin zindagi: From Masoom. Gulzar/RD. Zindagi tere gham ne humein rishtey naye samjhaaye. Mile to humein dhoop mein mile, chhaon ke thande saaye.
3. Jeene ke ishaare mil gaye: From Phir Milenge. Prasoon Joshi/Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy. Meri lau hawaon se jhagad ke ji uthi. Mere har andhere ko ujaale pi gaye.
4. Ik haseen nigaah ka: Maya Memsaab. Gulzar/Hridaynath Mangeshkar. Teri neeli aankhon ke bhanwar bade haseen hain. Doob jaane do mujhe, yeh khwabon ki zameen hai.
5. Chhupa lo yun dil mein pyar mera: Majrooh/Roshan/Hemant Kumar/Lata Mangeshkar. It’s from the film Mamta, and practically nobody has heard it. My all-time favorite romantic (?) song.
Passing the baton on to: