March 30, 2005

Workday Diary

Ran away from office to watch “My Brother Nikhil” last evening. It’s a regular dupatta drencher (term now patented) and boasts of great performances by Sanjay Suri, Victor Bannerjee, Purab Kohli, and Juhi Chawla. I challenge any of the Miss India 2005 contestants to blush they way Juhi does. Jaane kahan gaye woh din… (Where is my walking stick?)

The film deals with homosexuality without being either in-your-face or squeamish. The audience rarely burst into uncomfortable laughter, which is a great achievement for any director. Most dramatic moments were underplayed, and no characters suffered from exaggerated heroism. I’ve been told I seem to like all the movies I watch, but I’m beginning to feel that most of them are made with some kind of vision, which one should respect and appreciate, especially if Mallika Sherawat and Emraan Hashmi have nothing to do with the movie.

I came back to office to complete work, and took off an hour later with the boss and a couple of others to see yet another movie. (If you want to work in my office, mail me at name(dot)surname(at)organization.com) This one was “Chai Paani”. Amazing attention to detail in this one, not to mention the Delhi setting that made me nostalgic (Yeh jo bandhan hai who kabhi toot nahin sakta…)

Zafar Karachiwaala looked hassled throughout, just as he was supposed to. However, the suit of righteousness did not fit him too well. Konkona established her acting prowess in the first two scenes, playing two diametrically opposite characters beautifully. However, both were such mind-numbingly regressive portraits of womanhood that I felt like throwing my chappals at the screen! The movie was structured quite well, but that’s about it. And oh, Gaurav Kapoor acts with his eyes, something I haven’t seen for some time now. (I remember when my schoolmates swooned over him the day he came to host a music competition. He was three feet taller than the Principal.)

There was also a chocolate pastry eaten, about which I feel so guilty that I don’t want to talk about it.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is just another day at work for yours truly.

Note to God: Thanks for a great boss!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now THAT's a weekday philosophy!

shub said...

i'm dyyyying to watch it...juhi....:D she looks beautiful in this movie too as i see from the songs!!!
and whyyyyyy on earth shud a teensy weensy choc pastry make u feel guilty??!!! eat one more to stop feeling guilty bout the first one ;)
:p

Anonymous said...

did i tell u i dont like ppl who have 'great' bosses??
i have never had any and therefore never understood the term!!

bips

anumita said...

name.surname@organisation.com, I want "work" in your office.

Hornswoggler said...

Am packing bags and coming to pune. NOW!