February 11, 2005

Indian Idle

Yesterday I saw the Indian Idol show after a gap of three and a half months. The last time I had seen it, enthusiastic participants from Delhi and Kolkata were making complete fools of themselves trying to be casually cool and seriously talented at the same time. It was great fun to watch!

Last night, four top contestants were battling it out to stick on for another week. As they took center stage to sing one by one, I felt quite disappointed. I would not pay to hear any of those voices. I know as much about music as Laloo about Italian, but I know that there was no magic in any of those voices. None of them is an idol. You would not know their voice if it played on radio. Without serious technological support, none of the voices would be able to carry a song on its shoulders.

Sunidhi Chauhan, Sukhwinder Singh, Sonu Nigam, Kunal Ganjawala all affect various internal organs in unique ways the moment their voices come on air. Where are their successors? Not in this contest. I refuse to believe that this is the best talent that the country threw up.

All the best to all of them. As for me, I’m waiting for the next round.

No comments: