July 07, 2005

Book Meme

Deepak passed me the book meme, so here goes:

Volume of Books owned:
200? I don’t buy too many. One fine day I realized that between my two grandfathers, my ancestors had collected almost everything I’d ever want to read. That takes a lot of burden off my head!

Books I recently brought:
- The Lovely Bones: Alice Seabold. Don’t waste your money. Write to me if you want it.
- Reading Lolita in Tehran: Azar Nafisi. A real eye-opener. Great read for students of literature.
- Alice in Wonderland/Through The Looking Glass: Lewis Carroll. No essplanations required there!

Last book I read:
A Suitable Boy – Vikram Seth. At page 135498763, I almost gave up, but I emerged triumphant. Whoever compared it to Middlemarch was an idiot. It is a draaaaaaaaaaag interspersed with moments of brilliance that are too few and far between.

One book that I couldn't finish:
There are too many and just thinking about them is making me depressed, so I pass this question please.

Five books I cherish:
- Les Miserables – Victor Hugo. You read this one novel and you have read all novels you ever need to read! Wish I could read the French original.
- Gulliver’s Travels – Jonathan Swift. High on sarcasm, low on preaching. Swift went mad towards the end of his life. So will I.
- Vanity Fair – William Makepeace Thackeray. Evil man, Remorseless sarcasm.
- Tom Jones – Henry Fielding. Mad man. Mad book.
- Howards End – Most wonderful portraits of women by a man. Next to madmen, gay men write the best books. (This meme is not being a nice politically correct meme at all! Bad Meme!)

Who can I pass this on to? I'll bug chugs , and Rash , and Joker this time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

seems like most of the books you cherish were written two centuries back.

McFly

Hornswoggler said...

YES! YES! YES! (For the observation on A Suitable Boy)