January 27, 2005

Hoo-Hah!

“There isn't nothin' like the sight of an amputated spirit, there is no prosthetic for that.”

This was meant to be a review of the fantabulous movie I saw last night: The Scent of a Woman. It is too good to review, so I am giving up even before I begin. It’s a movie with a vision about a blind man with a vision. It’s a movie about learning to grow up, and continuing to learn when you have grown up.
The director sure drove this Ferrari at top speed down all the turns with his eyes wide open!

Oddly enough, the starkest memory that I’ll carry from the film is the dilemma of a poor scholarship student who has to choose between telling on his errant classmates (and consequently getting a scholarship to Harvard), and keeping quiet (only to be expelled and have his life ruined). And all this because he unwittingly happened to see some boys playing a prank.

It’s the perfect grey situation for many, I guess. But for me, the decision would be quite obvious. I’d snitch. Not just because I am not the best of human beings, but because I don’t see why I should suffer because someone else was up to mischief. Saving the ass of some villain in the name of comradeship is not my personal idea of integrity.

What would you have done?

No comments: