December 04, 2007

Tagged!

Today the superenthu Nepali watchman of our building stopped us and asked us if we could get him an ID card to wear around his neck. Never thought of it as a fashion statement! The boy expresses his disdain of the “patta” by carrying the card in his wallet, and I express it by using the red string from his I-card together with the black one given by my office, in an exaggerated “tags are weighing me down” gesture.

But in Bangalore, I think apart from residential building watchmen, everyone is wearing a tag! And the watchmen are not happy about this! The waiters who serve us our morning idli-coffee flaunt their IDs with panache. If the watchman bhaiyya did not freak me out regularly with his interrogation about "mera aadmi" and "humara computer", I’d surely have made him a makeshift badge....

3 comments:

ggop said...

Oh man, the "mera aadmi" thing had me ROFL. I remember bais using that phrase when they would refer to their "Mister".

Anonymous said...

Your watchman can have my ID tag. It just lies in my cupboard at home.

Kahini

Hornswoggler said...

No job. No tag. yayy yayyy