August 10, 2006

Lessee If Fortune Favours The Brave!

"If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss…"
(Kipling)

Am a certified NRI-type now. I went and saw the preview show of Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna.

Which also means I get to write a review before I read any.

All I'm gonna say (and all anyone who writes about it before most people have seen it should say) is that go watch it before people tell you the story (never mind the email forwards and crap) and judge it for yourself. Sometimes, the story is all-important. Like now. it's tough to swallow the fact that Shibani Fanaa Bathija came anywhere close to this film's script. Maybe I'll stop sticking pins in her voodoo doll.

The worst job, and the one with the most responsibility right now, is of those whose work forces them to write a review of this movie for mass circulation. I'm looking forward to reading as many as I can lay my hands on! One year of media studies has skewed my perspective after all!

P.S. I like watching Shah Rukh Khan movies with wendigo. She calls him all sorts of bodily orifice names! So this song is dedicated to her:

Tumko bhi hai khabar
Mujhko bhi hai pata
Ho raha hai judaa
Dono ka raasta
Duur jaake bhi mujhse
Tum meri yaadon mein rehna
Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna…


P.P.S. This is a must-watch movie for anyone planning to get married soon. Better still, it is a must-force-future-spouse-(who-will-try-to-avoid-it)-and-give-advanced-warning-of-neuroses movie.

P.P.P.S. As for the history of formula hits Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, I guess Karan Johar needed to erect a platform and collect some junta before he cleared his throat and began to speak?

P.P.P.P.S. That's a lot of peas before one ass. Or is that an abbreviation for pearls before swine?(OK stop)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Correctly said. I saw the movie and have reviewed it. If interested, click on the link below.

Anonymous said...

LOL. Enjoyed it. Haven't watched it, don't really want to. Came here from SandC, actually.

Karan Johar can say what he wants to and scream himself blue that it's original and all that blah, but the fact of the matter is, it is an Indianised version of that brilliant Mike Nichols' film 'Closer'.

And SRK should really do more movies outside his little clique. The only movie he really acted, as in 'acted, not hammed' was 'Swades'.

The Times will be kind to the movie 'cause it's a SRK starrer (surprise!), every other media entity will rip it apart is my guess.

Enjoyed the peas :-).