- Everyone in this free country is free to work freely and earn freely up to 4890 pounds a year.
- If you earn one pound more than that, the taxman comes knocking. On an income of 4891 pounds, you pay a ten percent tax, so they take away 489.1 pounds. Had you earned one pound less, you would have 488 more pounds in your hands.
Ten percent is the lowest tax rung. If you earn much more, you pay a higher percentage. So if they keep taking away bigger chunks than they're handing out, here is what happens:
- At 10,000 a year salary, they not only take all your money but also take away your car.
- At 20,000 a year, they take away all the cars in your neighborhood.
- At 50,000 a year, they allocate you to a soup kitchen van, where you can get slop twice a day.
- At 150,000 a year, which some of our professors reportedly earn, they allow you to have marathons held to raise tax-free money to keep your body and soul together.
Prince Charles, Lakshmi Mittal, Tony Blair and all those solvent people you see in this country make 4890 a year. Either that, or HM Revenue and Customs owes me an explanation!
See how much simpler this is than left and right. It's right when nothing's left. Now the job's gone too!
Update: Umm. Apparently it does not work that way. It works the normal human being-y way. Well, it never hurts to let out the spleen I say... :P