May 29, 2005

Meeting Your Match

While Amrita Thapar is going through the "swimwear" round, The Times Of India has organized "swayamvars" throughout Delhi today. At various appropriate locations, Malayali, Andhrite, Bengali and Punjabi prospective brides and grooms can check out each other, with family in tow. It is a remarkable effort on the part of this selfless organization to promote holy matrimony among people of similar backgrounds, for these are the only kinds of relationships that can last, no matter what these brainless youngsters of the twenty-first century think.

So I am putting on sequined red salwar kameez and going with mummy and daddy to Laxmi Narayan Temple in Lajpat Nagar, with my degrees and horrorscope in a pretty Nalli Sarees paper bag, and we will meet nice Punjabi boys there. Mummy is also carrying hamper with my needlework sample and a dabba of rajma prepared by me this morning only. Dad is carrying bank statement and Income tax return papers. I am not taking sister because she is prettier and in any case she has to wait till I am married. God willing, my brand new hubby and I will carry the hamper in our Maruti van at the next swayamvar when we go to parade her.

Ok ok. Now I am getting late. The beauty parlour lady is waiting. I have appointment. Wish me luck. Bye.

9 comments:

Domesticated Bachelor said...

found any unlucky guy yet?
*GRIN*

Anonymous said...

But can you make chapattis, she asked sternly.

Tipsy Topsy said...

Jijaji is so cute, chubby cheeks and all. Can't wait for my turn. :P

Anonymous said...

Is the yellow shade gone? :-) Going by tipsy's comment, things move fast, don't they?

Ink Spill said...

@ Joker anna: Sigh
@ Kahini: Atta maps yes. Chapatis no.
@ Tipsy: Get the hamper ready!
@ Aar: The yellow is all that stopped me from availing of this golden opportunity this time.

psychacid said...

really cool looking blog.

Anonymous said...

Raplying wid a streat phace...
Hope yu fyond the rite farsan. Mai the yalloh go avay soon.

-- Heretic

manuscrypts said...

barely escaped before times took care of matrimony too!!

Red Inked said...

Ink Spill,
I would love to know your views on traditional arranged marriages (one like 30-40 years ago), more recent twist to arranged marriages (one like you talked in your blog), and the modern love marriages.
-Nish